This past Sunday was the kind of day I find myself dreaming of all winter long…
…baby blue skies the color of my grandfather’s eyes (eye color that none of us got, btw), 70 degree heat pouring down from a sun that has finally shed its chalky-colored coat to sport its barely there warm-weather ensemble, and the anticipation of a meal that reminds us of how lucky we are that asparagus exists.
With lunch consisting of Roasted Parmesan Asparagus with Italian Herb Crispy Fried Eggs, we couldn’t help but be all sorts of giddy. I find that when we allow the little things in life, things like roasted asparagus and Italian herb mixtures, to make us that happy – life is good! Are you with me?
So here’s the thing – I’m thinking that my Italian herb mixture, as seen in my Grilled Cheese Italiano, needs to be as prevalent in my dishes as sliced avocados are on Instagram….
Yep, I’m thinking equal parts chopped garlic, red pepper flakes, Parmesan and oregano just might be my new salt and pepper. Hyperbole? Maybe. But I need to make the point – this is good stuff, my friends.
What it does to a crispy fried egg set overtop tender-crisp baby asparagus is not to be taken lightly.
The impact it has on the flavor of this dish is some serious business.
As serious as a CPA at 11:59pm on April 14th.
Speaking of CPA’s… (<——-how’s that for a segue?) … always reminds me of money… which leads me to some very exciting news…
I’ve joined forces with a few of my blogger friends to bring you an awesome giveaway! How does a chance to win a $300 Amazon gift card sound? Scroll down below to the Rafflecopter and enter to win! The giveaway runs through midnight April 28th. Good luck!
- 1 lb. thin asparagus, cleaned and bottoms trimmed
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ¾ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. cracked black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. shredded Parmesan
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbsp. Italian herb mixture (mixture = 1 Tbsp. each of chopped garlic, red pepper flakes, shredded Parmesan and dried oregano, combined)
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- In a large bowl, toss asparagus with olive oil, salt, pepper and Parmesan.
- Spread asparagus in one layer on baking sheet.
- Bake for 8 - 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, in a skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter.
- Crack eggs into skillet and sprinkle with Italian herb mixture.
- Cover pan and cook until eggs are crispy and yolk is still soft.
- Remove asparagus from oven and place on a serving platter.
- Slide eggs over asparagus and spoon juices from the eggs over the dish.
- Serve immediately.