Quick and easy, this delectable Spaghettini Italiano with Garlic, Chili, Oregano and Parmesan, has me wishing it was Meatless Monday, everyday!
What is the meal that comes to mind if I ask you to name the dish that ‘takes you home’? The recipe that immediately transports you to grandma’s kitchen?
This is it for me.
It doesn’t look like much. A plate of pasta with some herbs, grated cheese and olive oil…
But this is the dish that takes me to Mema’s house – my grandmother, on my mom’s side.
Mema’s food was unpretentious, honest and homey; her recipes were filled with haunting flavors that settled into my memory and never left.
Mema loved her hot peppers. The hotter, the better. And whenever my parents would bring her a massive bag of grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, you’d think she won the lottery.
We were never at a loss for fried green pepper sandwiches, a plate of spaghetti, locally made Italian bread, a hand or two of Canasta, or details about the latest ‘Luke & Laura’ storyline…
And although my attempts to recreate the flavors of my childhood seem to fall short of the flavors in my mind, the effort is gratifying.
It’s important to have meals like this at the ready…
Dishes that are:
- Easy to prepare
- Savory and delicious
What’s ‘your dish’? I’d love to know!
One year ago: Banana Split Cake
Two years ago: Banoffee Pie with Toffee & Sea Salt Crumble
Three years ago: Trix Treats
Four years ago: Caprese Crostini & Prosciutto Wrapped Cantaloupe
- 1 lb. spaghettini (thin spaghetti)
- sea salt
- ⅔ cup olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, sliced paper thin
- 2 - 3 dried chilis, seeded and crumbled, to taste
- 1 heaping Tbsp. dried oregano
- ¾ - 1 cup grated Parmesan, divided
- Cook the pasta in salted boiling water to al dente, about 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large pan over low heat, fry the garlic and chiles in the oil.
- Remove the pan from the heat as soon as the garlic begins to turn golden; the sauce is ready.
- Drain the pasta and transfer to the frying pan containing the sauce.
- Carefully stir the spaghettini, oregano and ¾ cup Parmesan so that every strand is covered with sauce.
- Serve immediately.
- Top with a little more cheese and red pepper.