Like Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy, strawberries and Valentine’s Day are a magnetic duo. Whether dripping in melted chocolate, eaten straight from the pack following a gentle wash under cool water, or roasted down to their most concentrated deep sweet flavor – strawberries are to February 14th what Romeo is to Juliet….an obvious choice.
Ravishing to look at, ruby-colored and heart-shaped, strawberries are nature’s valentines.
Now, how about we take it one step further and marry these little beauties to chocolate hazelnut, toasty bread and a light dusting of powdered sugar?
Have I got your attention? Good! Because I have another treat for you…
I am beyond thrilled to have joined forces with some of my favorite blogger-friends from across the country to bring you a beautiful array of Valentine’s Day treats.
Stay tuned ’til the end for links to our Virtual Valentine’s Day Party. You just might want to pour yourself a second cup of coffee and get real comfortable…
My offering, Roasted Strawberry & Chocolate Hazelnut Panini, is as versatile a treat as they come. Whether for breakfast, lunch, or dessert…this Italian inspired grilled sandwich slathered in your favorite chocolate hazelnut spread than topped with fresh strawberries roasted in high heat with a little olive oil and maple syrup is a thing of beauty!
Here’s to a Valentine’s Day that’s as sweet as the contents of this post!
- 16 oz. strawberries, hulled
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 Tbsp. maple syrup
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 1 Ciabatta loaf
- ½ cup Chocolate Hazelnut spread
- Powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Chop strawberries into large pieces and place in a medium sized bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together the olive oil, maple syrup and salt. Pour over the strawberries and toss to coat the berries.
- Arrange the strawberries in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet prepared with parchment paper.
- Roast for about 40 minutes, or long enough for the berry juices to thicken (but not burn).
- Remove from oven and place berries in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Slice ciabatta into 1-inch slices and smear chocolate hazelnut spread on each piece.
- Scoop about ¼ cup of roasted strawberries per sandwich.
- Prepare the panini maker with a spray of cooking oil and preheat to 375 F.
- Place the sandwich on the panini maker and press for 3 - 5 minutes. (No panini maker? No problem! Simply preheat a skillet with butter or olive oil, add your sandwich then press it down with a heavy pan until golden and crisp, about 3 - 4 minutes.)
- Remove when the panini is golden and crunchy.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.
Virtual Valentine’s Day Party! Decadence and deliciousness abound! #vdaysweettreats
What Should I Make For…
The Sweet Nerd
The Road to Honey
Girl Heart Food
No Spoon Necessary
Seasons and Suppers
Beer Girl Cooks
The Beach House Kitchen
Beyond Mere Sustenance
Ciao Chow Bambina