“I feel like chicken tonight, like chicken tonight, like chicken tonight.” I can’t get that tune out of my head. I’m certain I’m dating myself here. I’m referring to that commercial from the early 90’s for Ragu Simmer Sauces…”I feel like chicken tonight…”
Do you remember it? Every one doing the chicken dance…at work, in the street, on a boat, driving their car…
Anyway, it’s all I’ve been singing for the last two days and I think I’m driving Chels a little crazy.
I knew the only way I was going to shake myself of this tune and my constant serenade was to meet my craving head on…with chicken… sweet and spicy, glazey, tender, melt-in-your-mouth chicken.
Is there anything better than juicy chicken covered in a delicious glaze?
Only one thing…
Juicy chicken covered in a delicious glaze prepared in a slow-cooker! BAM!
How I love my slow-cooker. It’s such a treat, all day, to know that at the end of it – we’ll have a delicious, hot, home-made meal ready to serve where very little labor was involved.
Once you place your chicken in the slow-cooker and add the ingredients for the sauce which consists of brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, lemon-lime soda, minced garlic, soy sauce, and black pepper, it’s just a matter of adding corn starch and a little water in the last five minutes to make a perfect glazey sauce to spoon over your perfectly shredded chicken.
I hope you feel like chicken tonight, now, too! And I dare you not to do the chicken dance while you’re waiting for dinner to cook.
You can… you’ll have time!
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ⅔ cup apple-cider vinegar
- ⅓ cup lemon-lime soda
- 1 small head of garlic (2-3 Tbsp.), minced
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. corn starch
- 2 Tbsp.water
- 2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- Spray slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place chicken inside slow cooker.
- Mix together brown sugar, vinegar, soda, garlic, soy sauce, and black pepper.
- Pour over chicken.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Take chicken out of slow cooker and set aside.
- Pour remaining sauce into saucepan and place over high heat.
- Mix together corn starch and water, pour into saucepan and mix well.
- Let sauce come to a boil and continue boiling for 2-3 minutes, or until it starts to thicken.
- Remove from heat and let sit for a minute (it will continue to thicken as it cools).
- Serve chicken over rice or noodles.
- Sprinkle with red pepper flakes.
(*Recipe adapted from Six Sisters’ Stuff.)