Yesterday was one of those days…I needed to seek comfort…
Maybe it was due to my missing the kids a whole lot… or because of the heavy gray skies… or simply a result of my residual crankiness due to jet lag… or maybe it was all three, but whatever the culprit, I knew planning for dinner and blogging about it would help feed my need for tranquility, so off to Tops Friendly Market I went. With the mood I was in, I could have easily cleared the shelves of all the Thomas’, but I did not. I only bought one package – okay two – but the second one was free with the purchase of the first. And finding a good deal brings me comfort.
From there I looped back to the produce section to pick up some russets…I decided this meal was going to be all about creating an experience so satisfying that we couldn’t help but fall to sleep on a pillow fluffy with peace and contentedness, and I’m pretty sure it doesn’t get much more comforting than chicken and gravy over mashed potatoes.
So then I got to thinking…what else in my life brings me comfort?
I find comfort in my favorite songs, my first cup of coffee in the morning, my kids’ voices, Dom’s bear hugs, my books, Champy’s face peeking around the corner, the presence of those I love, the smell of fresh cut grass, cooking, Lake Placid, my oldest denim shirt, time spent with friends, and my camera…
Truth is, comfort is built in all around us, and I find that when I give the little things credit for the grand job they do, the sky doesn’t seem so gray and the kids don’t feel so far away.
So this chicken recipe – believe me when I tell you – cannot get any simpler. (Simplicity – just one more spoke on my wheel of comfort.) Probably the hardest part was cleaning the chicken before dumping it into the crockpot. Okay, maybe the mashed potatoes required a tiny bit of exertion, but other than that – once the chicken was cooked – the meal came together in just minutes.
It’s wonderful when a plan comes together.
My process for shopping, cooking, and photographing brought me the comfort I was looking for.
Because I built my actions around the way I wanted to feel…I felt better…
What brings you comfort? I would love to know!!
- 2 lbs. skinless chicken breast
- 2 cups (16 oz.) chicken broth
- 2 packets chicken gravy mix
- Place chicken breasts in the crockpot. Pour in the chicken broth, cover and cook on high for about 3 - 4 hours or until chicken easily pulls apart.
- Pour 2 cups of the chicken broth out of the crockpot and into a saucepan.
- Discard any remaining liquid.
- Add the two gravy packets into the saucepan and whisk well.
- Simmer on low until gravy thickens.
- While the gravy simmers, remove the chicken breasts from the crockpot and shred into large pieces.
- Serve the chicken and gravy over mashed potatoes.