This Cheesy Crab French Bread Appetizer takes bubbly, melty and tantalizing to a whole new level!
Half my lifetime ago I spent many a day roaming the halls of a local school which offered Adult & Continuing Ed. courses. Classes ranged from health & technology to personal enrichment and everything in between. I tried my hand at a number of things, from knitting & crocheting to card stamping and pottery, but it was the cooking classes that provided me the greatest benefits. (Case in point: the furthest I’ve ever gotten with a crochet hook and skein of yarn is one very long braid…)
On more than one occasion I took classes that focused on Christmas dinner & entertaining – which brings us to today’s scrumptious dish.
Whether it’s a summertime seafood craving or something luscious for the holidays, Cheesy Crab French Bread always fits the bill! It’s a melt-in-your-mouth kind of experience.
We’ll sometimes have it for dinner with a side salad or fresh fruit, or we’ll slice it into smaller-sized portions for an appetizer course. This is typically one of the first things to go; although my Mini Baked Chicken Meatballs with Peperonata, Mozzarella-Filled Cherry Tomatoes with Balsamic Glaze and Arancini tend to make folks happy too! 😉
Pulling this appetizer together is a breeze!
Once you’ve combined the topping ingredients, simply spread the Swiss cheese covered bread with the seafood mixture, pop it into the oven for about 30 minutes, then when it’s warmed through and the cheese is melted, remove from the oven, slice, and enjoy!
Always a favorite with holiday guests, this Cheesy Crab French Bread Appetizer is sure to get the party started!
- 2 cups crab meat (I used Imitation for today's recipe)
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup chopped parsley plus more for garnish
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice, plus more for garnish
- ½ tsp garlic salt
- ½ tsp dill
- ½ tsp celery seed
- 1 loaf French bread
- ½ lb. Swiss cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine first 8 ingredients. Set aside.
- Cut bread in half, lengthwise.
- Place bread on a baking sheet, cut side up.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese on the bread.
- Cover the cheese with the crab mixture.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cut each half in to appetizer-sized pieces. Top with a sprinkle of chopped parsley and a squeeze of lemon.