Roasted Chicken with Apple, Onion & Sage is a gorgeous way to end a Monday!
This is a sponsored post on behalf of Crunch Time Apple Growers. As always, all opinions are 100% my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that help make Ciao Chow Bambina possible.
Guys. If you’re a fan of roasted chicken – you have come to the right place.
I remember the first time I prepared one for my family, it was a turning point in my life.
This dish. So savory. So simple. So welcoming. The perfect antidote to whatever ails you. Golden, crispy and melt in your mouth delicious, it’s a meal I could get behind on a weekly basis.
I’m sure that the first time I made a roasted chicken I tucked a head of garlic, some onion, and maybe a little lemon inside – but I certainly didn’t dress it up with apple or fresh herbs.
This is what makes today’s chicken so special.
A chicken adorned with rubies.
How lucky can one girl get?
I’ll tell you how lucky….these aren’t just any rubies – they’re RubyFrost® rubies.
We already know how wonderful RubyFrosts are in sweets, and now we have proof that they complement even the most savory of dishes.
The apples and onions melt down to help create a meal that is beyond irresistible and oh-so-comforting.
When’s the last time apples and onions made this kind of impact?
It’s amazing what a scorching 12-inch cast iron skillet, a hot oven, fresh herbs, apples and onions can do for a chicken.
This, by far, is one of my all-time favorite meals. I don’t say this often, or take it lightly. But truly – this is the best!
Serve it up with a side of creamy mashed potatoes, maybe a little corn, and you have got yourself a meal!
- 1 five-pound roasting chicken
- 4 RubyFrost apples, cored and quartered
- 3 yellow onions, 2 quartered and 1 sliced
- 4 - 6 sprigs each of sage and thyme
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- kosher salt and cracked black pepper
- Set a 12" cast iron skillet on the top rack of the oven and preheat to 425 F.
- Meanwhile, remove the giblets and rinse the chicken inside and out. Pat dry.
- Season inside and out with kosher salt.
- Place 1 quartered apple, 1 quartered onion, and half the herbs in the cavity of the chicken.
- Toss the remaining apples, onions and herbs with 1 Tbsp of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Once the oven is heated, carefully remove pan and drizzle 1 Tbsp olive oil in pan.
- Place the sliced onion in the bottom of the pan.
- Place the chicken on the onions and the remaining apples, onion, and herbs around it.
- Brush the remaining olive oil and melted butter on the chicken.
- Roast for approximately 1.5 hours until juices run clear and the internal temperature is 165F.