This homestyle Apple Walnut Cake with Cinnamon Cream-Cheese Frosting is subtly sweet and loaded with apples and walnuts. It comes together quickly and reminds us just how marvelous autumn baking is!
This is a sponsored post on behalf of Crunch Time Apple Growers. As always, all opinions are 100% my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that help make Ciao Chow Bambina possible.
So this is the third week in a row that I’ve shared a recipe using SnapDragon® apples, and what I’ve come to realize, the more time I spend with this apple, is just how versatile it is.
Not only does it make for an appetizer that has me wishing pre-dinner was dinner-dinner, it complements an herb roasted turkey breast like nobody’s business, and gives texture and sweetness to cake as if that is what it was born to do.
Not only is SnapDragon® perfect for snacking, it holds up gorgeously in baking too.
This cake has the textural qualities of dense moist carrot cake but possesses the sweetness of fresh juicy apples. Carrot cake and I go way back, and I thought to myself, how about we put apples to the test and see how they fare.
As you might guess, they passed with flying colors.
What is it about this cake that has me so excited, you ask? (You did ask, right?)
- SnapDragons®, with their spicy-sweet flavor, put ‘autumn’ in apple cake
- Walnuts, inside and out, add to the cake’s rustic nutty charm
- Luscious, smooth and silky cinnamon cream cheese frosting (for the win)
So if you’ve been assigned dessert for your neighborhood potluck, office party, or holiday gathering – hopefully SnapDragon® and I have made your decision a little easier….
You should start seeing SnapDragon® apples at markets and in stores now! Stay tuned for additional updates on the new SnapDragon® website.
- Apple Walnut Cake
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1½ cups vegetable or canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp salt
- 2 - 2½ cups shelled walnuts, divided (1½ cup coarsely chopped; the remaining left whole for decorating the top of the cake)
- 3 heaping cups of peeled, coarsely chopped SnapDragon® apples
- Cinnamon Cream-Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 6 Tbsp butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 325 F and grease two 9-inch round cake pans. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat sugar and oil until fully combined. It will be thick.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift together the flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Add to the egg mixture and mix until well blended.
- Add coarsely chopped walnuts and apples and stir into batter until pieces are evenly distributed.
- Pour batter into the cake pans. Bake for 1 - 1¼ hours, or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cakes rest for at least 10 minutes, then remove from pans and cool on a rack for at least 2 hours, until completely cooled.
- In the meantime, prepare frosting.
- In a medium mixing bowl, cream together cream cheese and butter.
- Add vanilla then slowly sift in confectioners' sugar and cinnamon and continue beating until fully incorporated. Mixture should be smooth.
- When cake is cooled, frost center, top, and sides with frosting.
- Decorate the top with whole walnuts.
Forgot to pin? Here you go!