Isn’t it true that sometimes life calls for Red, White & Blueberry Cake?
When is it called for?
- Company’s dropping by
- Game night
- Need a homemade dessert you can whip up in no time
- Season finale of your favorite show
- Study break
- Spring cleaning break
- Celebrate Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day…
- Just because
Sweet and simple Red, White & Blueberry cake is the answer!
This recipe hails from Dom’s Aunt Betty.
I was going through some old recipes recently when a tiny slip of paper, not even the size of an index card, came floating out of a book. The title on the paper stated: Cherry or Blueberry Cake – Aunt Betty.
I know for a fact that I’ve held onto this recipe for years (and years), but tucked it away until I could only find it by accident. Well, today is our lucky day!
I modified the recipe just slightly – rather than using blueberry pie filling, I used fresh blueberries in the batter and opted for a smaller sized pan.
This fabulous Red, White & Blueberry Cake deserves a special occasion like Memorial Day! With juicy blueberries baked right in, sweet and dreamy homemade whipped cream topping and fresh berries to decorate – it’s guaranteed to please!
So here’s my recommendation, make the cake and throw it in the fridge, fire up the barbecue, light the sparklers and invite the neighbors…
Memorial Day weekend is underway!!
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1½ cups sugar
- 2 cups flour plus 1 Tbsp.
- 4 eggs
- Juice from ½ lemon
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tbsp. powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup raspberries
- ½ cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Grease a 9 x 9-inch pan. Set aside.
- Place 1 cup blueberries in a small bowl and stir them gently with 1 Tbsp. of flour. Set aside.
- For the cake, in a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add 2 cups flour, 4 eggs, lemon juice and vanilla.
- Mix until fully combined.
- Next, gently fold the blueberries into the batter.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a wooden pick comes out clean.
- To make the topping, in a large bowl, using a hand mixer on medium-high speed, beat the cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla until firm peaks form.
- Once the cake is completely cooled spread the whipped cream evenly over the cake and top with raspberries and blueberries.
- Refrigerate and serve cold.
Have a happy & safe weekend, my friends!