“Orange You Glad I Didn’t Say Tequila?” … the Vodka Lover’s Margarita!
Jennifer Whitehair, Content Director at Vegas.com, has invited me, along with other folks from the on-line food community to a digital mix off.
As a result of my Toasted Marshmallow Martini, I’ve been asked to share a homemade specialty beverage as part of the well-known food festival in Las Vegas called Vegas Uncork’d… perhaps you’ve heard of it.
Inspired by the “Mix Master” event at the Aria Resort & Casino where Master bartender and mixologist Craig Schoettler will be sharing his signature cocktails, food bloggers will share their signature recipes through social media using the hashtag #MixItUp2014.
A little back story on my drink…
This recipe was born out of a little frustration and a lot of determination. With Monday being Cinco De Mayo, and Dom and Chels making all sorts of fun plans for the delicious Margaritas they’d be drinking, I knew the only way I’d be part of this good time was to come up with a drink that suited me as well. Since I don’t like tequila, it was time to get creative. I used the idea of a Margarita but replaced the tequila with vodka, then added some delicious citrus notes. And “Orange You Glad I Didn’t Say Tequila” was born.
If you’re anything like I am, and feel a little left out on Cinco De Mayo 😉 … do what I did… make the swap…
Lime and vodka can be beautiful friends. Give it a shot…
You’ll be glad you did!
- Ice Cubes
- 3 ounces vodka
- 2 ounces freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 ounce Simple Syrup
- 1 Tbsp. orange liqueur
- Juice of 1 lime
- lime-salt-sugar mixture
- Slice of lime
- Slice of orange
- Prepare Simple Syrup: Combine 1 cup sugar with 1 cup water in a small pan over medium heat. Stir until sugar melts. Remove from heat, let cool.
- Prepare lime-salt-sugar: Combine the zest of one lime, 2 Tbsp. kosher salt and 2 Tbsp. sugar.
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Add vodka, orange juice, Simple Syrup and orange liqueur.
- Cover and shake until mixed and chilled, about 30 seconds.
- Place lime-salt-sugar on a plate.
- Press rim of a martini glass in mixture to rim the edge.
- Strain cocktail into the glass.
- Garnish with sliced lime and orange.