This Spinach & Tortellini Soup is perfect for busy weeknights and holiday meals!
This recipe was inspired by a spinach & tortellini soup I prepared a couple weeks ago for my daughter, Lauren aka Lucy, when she wasn’t feeling well. As it turned out, she had strep throat. 🙁 Thankfully her symptoms didn’t include a fever or much pain, just swollen tonsils and the inability to sing. Which for Luc, is a problem. (And a problem for those of us who love to hear her sing!)
I had some errands to run that morning and as I was getting ready to scoot, Luc asked if I could pick up some soup.
Rather than grab a popular brand off the shelf, I was moved to make it from scratch.
It’s not often (anymore) that I get to coddle the kids when they’re feeling under the weather.
So out came the chicken broth and all sorts of comforting and flavorful ingredients that were sure to warm her up from the inside out.
Cheese tortellini is a fantastic addition to soup. And in my kitchen, where there’s pasta, there’s usually garlic, grated cheese and tomatoes.
For the batch of spinach & tortellini soup I made for Luc, I used fire roasted diced tomatoes, which was very good, but for today’s recipe I’m using the same diced tomatoes with added chopped green chilies.
The kick that the green chilies give is right on the money! But if spicy-pepper-heat-hot is not your thing, I recommend you use tomatoes without the peppers. I assure you it’s just as tasty.
And now, I must state the obvious…
Is this Spinach & Tortellini Soup not ‘just perfect’ for Christmas? Sometimes it’s nice to start the meal with a little cup of zuppa, and the colors here are as pretty as any ornament you’ll see all day.
You’ll be happy to know that Luc is singing again…
And just in the nick of time!
Hey – this Spinach & Tortellini Soup just might get us all carol ready!! (But if you’re anything like I am…that might take a lot of soup!)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 small cloves garlic, minced
- 2-10 oz. cans fire roasted diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 64 oz. chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- ½ Tbsp. kosher salt
- 1-20 oz. pkg. refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 6 oz. fresh baby spinach
- Grated Parmesan cheese, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add garlic; cook and stir for about 1 minute.
- Pour in tomatoes, broth, dried herbs and salt; bring to a boil.
- Add tortellini; bring to a gentle boil.
- Cook, uncovered, just until tortellini are tender, 6 - 8 minutes.
- Stir in spinach.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan and black pepper.
Wishing for more soup recipes to warm you up? CCB’s got you covered: