The only way that this Spaghetti with Broccoli and Toasted Bread Crumbs could be more comforting is if it were served with a side of hugs.
With snow whipping and roads not yet salted, the day can instantly take on a pleasing sheen when the pantry is stocked.
No need to brave the elements when you’ve spent some time preparing for moments like this.
It doesn’t take much to create a meal that comforts and sustains especially when there’s a box or two of pasta in the cupboard.
If you peeked into my pantry you’d see tins of tomatoes and boxes of pasta, crushed red peppers, olives, garbanzo beans, tuna, nuts and seeds. There are random containers of corn for popping, a half consumed bag of our favorite peanut brittle, jugs of olive oil, various vinegars, sacks of potatoes and sweet onions, bread crumbs, a large box of water crackers and pretzels. The top shelf houses our ‘liquor cabinet’ but that description we can save for another post.
Other cabinets hold fixings for breakfast and baking and my counter sports ceramic bowls designed to cradle baby shallots and plump heads of garlic. (Yes, my garlic is cradled. Isn’t everyone’s?)
I made this dish a couple of weeks ago and haven’t gotten around to posting, you know with holidays like this taking top billing(!), but this is a dish we visit again and again!
With just a few pantry items and some fresh vegetables, you’re on your way to a warm and hearty meal in minutes!
Spaghetti with broccoli and spicy toasted bread crumbs? Fuggedaboudit!
Question: What pantry items can you never be without?
- 1 lb. thin spaghetti
- sea salt
- 1 large head of broccoli, cut into florets
- ½ cup olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. dried chili flakes
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, prepare the pasta according to package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, blanch the broccoli. Add it to a pot of boiling water for a couple of minutes then remove and immediately place in cold water to stop the cooking and retain the bright color. Remove and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the garlic and chili flakes. Cook for 1 minute then throw in the breadcrumbs.
- Fry, stirring constantly for another minute, to get the bread crumbs crunchy and golden.
- Add the broccoli and stir for another minute or so, until heated through.
- Using an oversized slotted spoon, lift the pasta out of the water and add to the skillet.
- Mix the ingredients together.
- Fry everything for another minute.
- Serve immediately straight from the skillet.
How about a few more cozy pasta recipes for these arctic days when all we can think about is staying inside….