Check out this creamiest of creamy Creamy Roasted Beet Hummus!
Operative word, here? CREAMY!
How can I speak with such strength? Such certainty? Such truth, you wonder?
Where have I found the audacity to express with such boldness, such confidence, such authority?
How does one create a hummus so creamy…so luxurious…so light and swirly?
Are you ready?
Are you sure?
Because once the secret’s out – there’s no turning back.
It involves some labor…
But your hummus will never be the same, my friends.
Heck, your life will never be the same.
Okay – here we go…
The answer to Operation Creamy Hummus… DaDaDaaaaa
Peel your chickpeas.
Yep. That’s it.
That’s the answer to the creamiest of creamy Creamy Roasted Beet Hummus…and every other hummus under the sun…
Peel your chickpeas. Just pop those little beans out of their skins and you’re off and running toward a foodie experience that’ll have you dancing for days.
I realize I’ve made the focus of this post its creamy texture. (Had to be done.) But let’s take a moment to admire its vivid color, shall we? Thank you Roasted Beets! You sure know how to dress up a dish!
All the reasons I love Creamy Roasted Beet Hummus:
- The act of peeling chickpeas forces one to stop and smell the coffee. (Always a good thing.)
- Hummus is part of a Mediterranean diet, which is all sorts of healthy and delicious. (With its fruits and veggies, whole grains, nuts and olive oils.)
- Chickpeas contain healthy protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals. (Can never have enough of these.)
- Beets are high in vitamin C, fiber, and essential minerals like potassium and manganese. (Or these.)
- Just look at that vibrant color. (No words.)
- It’s quick and easy to make. (My jam.)
- Great for snacking, lunching and tailgates. (True story.)
So, if you have a minute or two, a food processor, some beets, chick peas and tahini…you’re on your way to Creamy Roasted Beet Hummus and Happiness.
- 2 medium beets
- 3 plump garlic cloves
- ½ cup olive oil, divided
- 2 cups peeled chick peas
- ¼ cup tahini
- juice of ½ lemon
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- ⅓ cup of water
- 1 Tbsp. black sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 425 F.
- Place the beets and garlic on a large piece of tin foil, drizzle with 2 Tbsp. olive oil and wrap.
- Place beets on a baking sheet and roast for about an hour until beets are fork tender.
- Allow the beets to cool then remove the skins from the beets and garlic. Set aside.
- To the bowl of a food processor, add the peeled chickpeas, tahini, crushed red pepper flakes, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Puree the mixture until smooth, scraping the sides as you go.
- Add ⅓ cup of water and continue to process until smooth.
- Add the roasted beets and garlic.
- With the machine still running, add ⅓ cup of olive oil until smooth and creamy.
- Taste and season as you go.
- To serve, sprinkle sesame seeds and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Serve with crostini, your favorite crackers or fresh vegetables.