With the unofficial start of summer happening this weekend, there’s a very good chance that if we listen closely, we’ll hear a nationwide flicker of gas or strike of a match followed by an eruption of flames. Barbecue season is upon us and I have teamed up with several fellow food bloggers to bring you 50 stunning recipe ideas for shindigs so smashing, your house is sure to be the hit of summer!
For me, it’s all about the pizza! Roasted Vegetable Grilled Pizza with Garlic Herb Oil to be exact, but it doesn’t stop there – we have more – lots more. Stick around to the end of this post to check out the creative recipes included in our Great Blogger Barbecue!
Speaking of great barbecue…this grilled pizza…
…with fresh veggies…
…and garlic herb oil…
…with a snowfall of mozzarella and a dusting of Parmesan…
…just might be my new favorite!
Long gone are the days of working in a sweltering dimly lit grocery store deli, rolling out dough, slicing pepperoni, taking pizza orders and cashing folks out like nobody’s business.
Nope – it’s all about pizza-making in the sunshine…sans hairnet, sans disposable powder free vinyl gloves, and sans my then boyfriend’s mom who also worked in the deli and watched my every move (or so it seemed). Man, she knew her way around a pizza peel, a hot oven, and the nerves of a 17 year old girl…
Today’s pizza demonstrates maturity. The large pepperoni with extra cheese and a dash of oregano that I had fun making on the regular back in the day feels like the adolescent version to today’s grown-up pie.
Where the pizza of yesteryear was sporting the just released and very popular baby blue Nike running shoes and strawberry Lip Smacker, today’s pizza is wearing espadrilles, SPF 15 and a sunhat.
Have you guys tried your hand at grilled pizza yet? Trust me, it’s far easier than you think. I went the white pizza route with a zippy garlic herb oil, mozzarella and Parmesan, then topped with a huge salad’s worth of caramelized roasted veggies. I’ve used bell pepper, fennel, carrot, red onion, broccoli and mushrooms – but it doesn’t mean that you have to. Be as creative as you want by using any vegetables that you have on hand.
And as far as the dough goes…you can make your own or buy a one pound ball at the grocery store like I did. All you’ll need are about 3 or 4 minutes to grill each side before entering pizza heaven. With one bite of this crunchy, bubbly and irresistible pizza, you’ll wonder what took you so long!
So fire up that grill, my friends, and get your pizza on!!
But wait…there’s more…
- Roasted Vegetables
- ½ cup broccoli florets
- ½ red bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced ¼ inch thick on the diagonal
- ½ cup sliced red onions
- ¼ fennel bulb, trimmed and thinly sliced lengthwise
- ½ cup sliced white mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Garlic Herb Oil
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tsp. dried basil
- 2 tsp. dried rosemary
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 plump clove garlic, minced
- Pizza Crust
- 1 lb. pizza dough
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- In a large bowl, toss broccoli, bell pepper, carrot, red onions, fennel and mushrooms with olive oil.
- Place in a shallow baking pan and roast until the vegetables are tender and lightly browned, about 25 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In the meantime, prepare Garlic Herb Oil.
- In a small bowl, combine olive oil, basil, rosemary, red pepper flakes and minced garlic.
- Mix well and refrigerate until ready to use.
- To grill the dough, I used a gas grill, adjust the burners to medium-high. Close the cover and allow the grill to heat for about 10 minutes or until the thermometer reaches 400 F.
- While the grill is heating, ready your dough.
- Place the dough on a floured surface and sprinkle a little flour over the top.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough, starting from the center out to the edges.
- Roll the dough out to about a 12-inch long rectangle, ⅛-inch thick.
- transfer the dough to the backside of a cookie sheet or a pizza peel.
- When the grill is the right temperature, hold the cookie sheet (or peel) close to it and slide the dough onto the grill.
- The dough should take about 3 minutes to cook.
- Watch as it begins to bubble, the crust will be soft at first and then quickly firm up.
- Lift the underside to see if there are grill marks.
- Using tongs, pick up the crust from the middle, and place on your cookie sheet.
- Flip it so the grilled side is face up. *The browned side becomes the top of your pizza.
- Brush the grilled side of the pizza with your garlic herb oil.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella and Parmesan, then top with roasted vegetables.
- Carefully slide the pizza back onto the grill.
- Grill for another 3 to 4 minutes until the cheese is melted and the bottom is browned.
- Slide pizza back onto the pan.
- Slice and serve.
Have fun checking out all the fabulous recipes included in THE GREAT BLOGGER BARBECUE!
Cocktails and Drinks
Blackberry Gin Slush by The Speckled Palate
Homemade Lemonade by Winstead Wandering
Blood Orange Mocktail by Body Rebooted
Fleur Collins Cocktail by Hungry Girl por Vida
Fourth of July Sparkler by Mixplorology
Black Stripe Cold Rum Cocktail by Honey and Birch
Fresh Watermelon Mojito by Twin Stripe
Mint Hibiscus Lemonade by The Little Epicurean
Wine Slushy by Living Well Kitchen
Basil Gin Lemonade by Glisten and Grace
Salt Plate Shrimp by The Mexitalian
Jamaican Jerk Chicken Burgers by Simple and Savory
Roasted Vegetable Grilled Pizza with Garlic Herb Oil by Ciao Chow Bambina
Memphis Style Pulled Pork by Two Places at Once
Balsamic & Honey Chicken Skewers with Strawberry-Kiwi Salsa by No Spoon Necessary
Amazing Basic Spice Rub for Grilling by An Oregon Cottage
Mediterranean Chicken Kebabs by PasadenaDaisy
Smoked Porchetta Pork Loin by Tasty Ever After
Pressure Cooker Pulled Pork by Appeasing a Food Geek
Peach Barbecue Sauce by The Beach House Kitchen
Tuna Stuffed Sweet Peppers by SugarLoveSpices
Herb Marinated Steak Gyros Plates with Tomato-Onion Salad and Green Tahini Sauce by Feed Me Phoebe
Marinated Skirt Steak with Sweet Corn and Cherry Salad by Domesticate ME!
Sweet & Sour Chicken Kebabs by Tastefully Frugal
Caprese Pasta Salad by Club Narwhal
Cranberry Almond Broccoli Salad by Two Sisters Kitchens
Coconut Milk Mac & Cheese by A Little Gathering
Cherry Quinoa Salad by Food Lovin Family
Cheddar, Corn and Bacon Potato Salad by Family Food on the Table
Lemon Rocket Pasta Salad by Lauren Caris Cooks
Green Goddess Potato Salad by Love & Flour
Red White & Blue Watergate Salad by A Joyfully Mad Kitchen
Zesty Potato Skewers by Pamela Salzman
Quinoa Tabouli by A Fork’s Tale
Banana Pudding Ice Cream Cake by Feast + West
Strawberry Beer Floats by bethcakes
Cherry Cheesecake Dessert by The Little Blonde Baker
Light Berry Angel Food Cake by The Creative Bite
Lemon Cream Tarts with Berries by Girl Heart Food
Fresh Strawberry Muffins by Spiced
Lemon Pie Sundae by Flavours & Frosting
Strawberry Lemon Shortcakes by Dash of Herbs
Grasshopper Pie by 2 Cookin’ Mamas
Berry Mango Smoothie Pops by HÄLSA Nutrition
Mixed Berry Vanilla Bean Cake by Cake ‘n Knife
No Churn Cookies and Cream Strawberry Ice Cream by The Secret Ingredient Is
Coconut Blueberry & Vodka Ice Pops by Nik Snacks
Strawberry Key Lime Margarita Greek Yogurt Ice Pops by Beer Girl Cooks
Cherry & Rhubarb Tart by Crepes of Wrath